Sunday 3 March 2013

Sound of Silence DID Entry

This is my entry for Donna's Desert Island Disc CJ. She selected the songs for each candidate and I got Sound of Silence by Sharleen Spiteri as my entry. I never realised till I played the CD that it was a cover of the Simon and Garfunkel track. My husband had a laugh at that as I'm not actually that keen on them so I looked the lyrics up on-line.

 I loved the box to hold them all. It brought back all these memories of vinyl that my kids will never know lol.


This is my cover. I ran it through a brick embossing folder for texture. I wanted it to complement the neon Easter Island head I had drawn for the inner page. I was aiming for a graffiti look.

These are the inner pages. I started with the opening line "Hello darkness my old friend" as it appealed to me as I was a bit grumpy last month. I used some white embossing powder, grunge stamps from a Scarlet Lime kit and then covered it with grey Liquitex paint and Dylusions graphite spray ink. The stamp is one of my favourite Stampotique girls and I coloured her in with Distress Markers. The words are stamped using the Cal alphabet set from Studio Calico.
 




















The next page is inspired by the line "And the people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made". This is my neon god that I drew free hand and was aiming for an Easter Island look as that was what popped into my head when I read the lyrics. The inks are Hero Arts neon inks. The background is Neocolour II pastels and then a circle mask with more Dylusions inks. The people stamps are a Autumn Leaves set I bought in Florida and the arrow and alphabet stamps are Studio Calico ones.


















 
I also added a bit of stamping to some of the other entries. This entry was Country Girl and I added a Kaisercraft stamp to to the back page with Vintage Photo distress ink.

 
 I added some triangles and stitched circles to Melancholy using black Stazon.


 
I picked up Virginia's CJ yesterday and it's looking great.

Sonja.x

5 comments:

  1. This is flipping fantastic Sonja!! I love your neon Easter island head especially and the deliciously grungy background on the "hello darkness my old friend" bit

    And cool additions too

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it Sonja - thank you, especially since you worked on a song you don't like.

    dx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fab stuff, journal arrived safe and sound and Donna's journal is looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great in the flesh too :)

    Now, I have to figure what to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, lovin the neon Easter Island head- so cool!

    ReplyDelete